This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors.
Access Information for the Sun Inn
The Sun Inn is located in the centre of Kirkby Lonsdale, on the Market Street right next to the Church. The boutique Sun Inn combines the character and charm of a 17th century inn and AA two rosette restaurant with the luxury of contemporary, modern hotel accommodation.
The Sun Inn has eleven luxurious hotel bedrooms all available on a bed and breakfast basis (we do hold an AA Breakfast Award 2015) a dinner, bed and breakfast rate is also available. All rooms are located on the first or second floor of the building, all accessed via stairs.
The Sun Inn’s restaurant is featured as a ‘local gem’ in the 2015 Good Food Guide and offers a selection of light snacks, lunches and dinners, as well as ‘Posh Noshers’ wine tastings and gourmet foodie breaks. Locally sourced food and award winning sausages from our own Kirkby Lonsdale butcher make a fantastic breakfast, equally matched by our head chefs evening menu. Meanwhile, real ales and roaring log fires will welcome you in the Sun Inn’s traditional bar area.
There is level access to the pub and a wheelchair accessible toilet for our customers. Unfortunately bedrooms are not accessible by wheelchair.
We look forward to welcoming you. If you have any queries or require any assistance please phone 015242 71965 or email email@example.com.
- For full details and maps of how to reach us, please see the “getting here” section of our website. Alternatively, you can plan your journey by car or public transport using a journey planning website; simply enter your postcode and ours, which is LA6 2AU to get directions.
- The nearest railway station is Oxenholme, which is 11 miles away or a 15 minute car journey. Taxis are available from the station. If you require an accessible taxi please call Blue Star in Kendal, who have 3 vehicles with wheelchair access, their phone number is 01539 723670.
- The nearest bus stop is 160 m/ 174 yards from the Inn- the nearest stop is called “Market Square”. Stagecoach buses are typically wheelchair friendly, but cannot promise every bus can accommodate. There is a regular bus service to and from Lancaster and Kendal, each service is every two hours.
- The streets between the bus stop and the Inn are paved, the street adjacent to the Inn is paved however so caution is advised.
- One RADAR toilet is available in Kirkby Lonsdale; this is located on Jingling Lane.
Car Parking and Arrival
- We do not have our own car park, overnight guests are provided with a free parking permit that allows guests to park in all car parks in Kirkby Lonsdale and the South Lakes.
- All car parks in Kirkby Lonsdale are pay and display, however some on street parking is available (although limited to one hour)
- Blue badge spaces available in all car parks
- From the car parks to the Inn all paths are level and well lit
- There is a drop off point next to the Inn, this is a dropped kerb, and there are neither steps nor handrails from the drop off point to the Inn.
- There are no steps through the main entrance, we also have a side entrance and there are no steps into the building through this door.
- The main entrance door opens towards you as your enter from outside, it is not automatic. The side entrance door opens away from you as you enter, this is not automatic.
- Main entrance door opening width is 93cm.
Bar & Bar Area and Dining Area/Restaurant
- The main entrance takes you through into the bar, and from the bar you can go through into the restaurant or to the public toilets. The toilets, restaurant and bar are all on the ground floor, all on the same level.
- There is no door between the bar and restaurant, the whole area is free flowing. There is a door between the bar and the public toilets.
- No lowered section of the bar, however table service is provided.
- The bar uses upright chairs, stools and comfy leather chairs, leather sofa style benches, with stools at the bar. The restaurant uses upright arm chairs.
- The lighting throughout the downstairs of the Inn is ceiling spotlights, with some lamps in the bar area and candles in the restaurant. There is also natural light.
- No TVs in the downstairs areas of the Inn. We do play background music.
- The floor surface in the bar area is wooden, with no rugs or carpets. There is a slated section of the restaurant; however the main restaurant also has wooden flooring.
- Any dietary needs can be catered to, please inform staff, some notice may be required.
- The bar and restaurant areas both offer table service.
- Menus are printed onto A4 paper; however staff are able to read them out loud.
- Crockery used to serve food does contrast with the wooden tables. Different colored plates used.
- No pool table or darts board.
- Customer toilets are located on the ground floor next to the bar, at the same end of the bar as the restaurant.
- There is a short corridor but this is all level and there are no steps between the bar and the toilets.
- The accessible WC is unisex and access is always available.
- The entrance door is 79cm wide, with transfer space to the right of the toilet, measuring 80cm.
- Toilet height is 49cm.
- There are rails surrounding the toilet- one vertical and one horizontal on the right, and one vertical on the left.
- There is a red alarm cord which alerts the staff should assistance be required.
- The lighting used is spotlights.
- The tap is a lever handle.
- The flooring is tiled slate.
Accommodation – Bedrooms
- No ground floor bedrooms or designated accessible bedrooms.
- Stairs only to get to bedrooms. The most accessible room is at the top of the stairs; it is the largest bedroom with the most floor space and can be either a large double or twin bedroom.
- The bathroom has a bath with overhead shower.
- Spotlight lighting throughout the bedroom and bathroom- with desk lamps, standing lamp and bedside lamps.
- Walls are beige, with similar colored carpets and one wall is wallpapered green.
- Wardrobe is 1 meter wide, the rails are not adjustable.
- The floor in the bedroom is carpeted, made of Swaledale wool.
- The height of the bed to the top of the mattress is 77cm.
- Feather free bedding is available on request.
- Subtitles and audio description available on TV settings.
- Bedroom door is 70cm wide.
Accommodation – Bathrooms, Shower-rooms & Toilets (Ensuite or Shared)
- Level access from bedroom to the en-suite bathroom facilities. Bathroom door is 65cm wide.
- Shower is over the bath, which is a round top, no level access to bath. Horizontal support/grab rail is at bath level on the wall opposite entry to the bath, there is also a vertical grab rail next to the shower door.
- Height of the WC from the floor to seat is 43cm.
- Height of the washbasin is 85cm; there is clear space under the sink.
- Lighting is spot lights and natural lights.
- Floors are black tiled, walls are white tiles and also the towels we provide are white. Chrome radiator underneath the window, next to the sink.
- Checkin staff are trained to take a special note of any guests staying that have restricted or limited mobility so that special provision can be made in the case of any emergency. This is recorded in the Duty Managers diary in case of emergency.
- Evacuation procedures- the staff are fully trained, no information sheets, some signs however in small print, fire exits are clearly marked.
- Assistance dogs are more than welcome. Water bowls are provided, churchyard just outside of the Inn can be used for dog’s toilet area.
- No hearing loop system.
- 3 pin plug sockets are available if these are helpful for charging mobility scooters or battery powered wheelchairs.
- Local Accessible Taxi: Blue Star Kendal 01539 723670