Exploring historic homes and gardens
That means visitors staying with us at the hotel are perfectly poised to combine a short break with a trip back in time.
A great selection grand designs and gorgeous gardens within an easy drive of the Sun Inn include:
- Levens Hall near Kendal, South Cumbria: Originally a medieval pele tower, Levens Hall’s gardens were laid out in the 1690s and retain many original features. Its topiary is recognised by the Guinness Book of Records as being the oldest in the world and there is an ever-changing range of 30,000+ flowers. Black fallow deer and rare breed bagot goats roam the surrounding parkland.
- Leighton Hall near Lancaster, North Lancashire: The historic home of the renowned Gillow family, the Leighton Hall estate stretches over 1,550 acres. Named as one of VisitEngland’s ‘hidden gems’, there are landscaped parkland and woodland walks, as well as a pretty 19th century walled garden and an expert falconer.
- Sizergh Castle near Kendal, South Cumbria: This grade 1 listed medieval house and 1,600-acre estate stands proudly at the gateway to the Lake District. Still home to the Strickland family, centuries-old portraits include paintings of the Royal Stuart family. There are also includes orchards, woodland, a pond and a lake, plus a national collection of hardy ferns and a limestone rock garden.
- Lancaster Castle was founded in 1093, although the site dates back to Roman Times. The site has witnessed major historical, cultural and political events down the centuries, including the trials of the ‘Lancashire Witches’ and 200 executions.
- Skipton Castle in North Yorkshire: Built by a Norman baron in 1090 on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales, Skipton Castle is another of the most complete and best preserved medieval castles in England. It has stood firm through centuries of wars and sieges, with visitors able to explore every corner of this majestic building.
There is also the nearby Lake District, where guests will discover the secrets of Wordsworth’s home at Rydal Mount, Holker Hall and Gardens and the Arts and Crafts house Blackwell to name a few. Wray Castle, in the western shore of Windermere, is also worth a look.
Later, join us back at the 17th century Sun Inn in the heart of Kirkby Lonsdale for some unmistakeable olde worlde charm combined with more modern boutique hotel luxury.